26.7.13

Italiana Noir

On Thursday, right before the weekend began here, I found myself going through some old stuff stashed in my closet. To my surprise, there was my Kindle that I hadn't seemingly used in forever. Truth be told, I've never fully made the switch over to e-readers, which isn't to say though that I don't like the convenience that they offer. I decided to take it out and charge it up and check it out again. I was pleased to discover some old books that I had loaded onto there a long time ago.

None more so than Andrea Camelleri's 'The Shape of Water'. From the moment I read the first chapter, I knew instantly that this was exactly the type of pulp detective novel that I'm enamored by. Camelleri's sly wit and ability to recreate the Mediterranean Noir feeling and the distinct and unsettled Sicilian atmosphere for his readers is flawless.


When I discovered that the Inspector Montalbano novels had been made into an Italian tv series, I practically jumped to YouTube as soon as I heard. If only I could speak just the slightest bit of Italian in order to understand everything. In the meantime, I'm going to be fast at work looking for any version with even half-decent English subs.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...