6.7.13

Rush Hour: Part II

The Thursday afternoon commute home from work is always an interesting time for me. Trains and buses are packed, and Israelis from all walks of life are pressing to get home from the end of a long week. Perhaps no one more so than IDF soldiers on active duty. Just a few years ago I was in the same position of hustling back from way up north each weekend to return to Tel Aviv for the brief 48 hours (usually less) of freedom. If I wasn't stuck on base guarding and closing Shabbat, of course.

 

Whenever I see groups of English speaking soldiers passing by I'm always taken back to that feeling. Truthfully, I don't think there is anything more liberating or fulfilling. These days having gotten used to working in an office far away, from the constant grind of army life, I won't lie though, sometimes I miss it. However, given the option, I think I'll probably stop short of wanting to go back. For some reason, complete personal and professional freedom is something I'm not ready to give up again. That being said, I'm proud of my time in active service. The random call ups for Miluim once a year or so are more than enough though to satisfy the urge.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...