21.7.13

The Golden Horn

There isn't a better time than summer to catch up on those books that have been sitting idly on the shelves. After some months spent of heavy reading, I decided that something a bit lighter was in order. 

Hagia Sophia. Where it all goes down.

While I was in Istanbul last year, strolling down Istiklal Caddesi I popped into a local bookstore and picked up one of the types of cheesy thrillers I love. Laurence O'Bryan's "The Istanbul Puzzle" fits that definition perfectly. Given that I had been feeling some of the nostalgia from my Istanbul trip lately, it proved to be an ideal companion to the relive the city and all its deep history and complexity. I wouldn't go as far as to recommend this book if you're expecting deep prose and sweeping characters. However, if you're looking for a quick read to transport you to a place you've been and are longing for, or to somewhere new you would like to experience, I can say with confidence that "The Istanbul Puzzle" makes for a fun ride.

 Seafront. Golden Horn.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...