27.2.21

Passing Time

It's been nearly thirteen years since I first read W.G Sebald's magisterial novel Austerlitz and in the past few days I have gone back through several passages when I've had some extra time at night before going to bed. Each reading brings back salient personal memories, especially those from my first Florentin apartment from late 2007 and early 2008, before fall arrived and the inevitable start of my army service. I'm clearly overdue to read the book in its entirety once more.

I've been thinking a lot also about the many places referenced in the book, including those that I've had the chance of visiting myself and others that I've only been able to imagine in my head. Of course, due to the pandemic, all psychogeographic journeys and explorations are relegated to the virtual realm for the time being. As a temporary means, it's still better than nothing at least until the resumption of semi-normal life again. 

Antwerp Central, Liverpool Street Station, Alderney Road. I keep going back to the same places night after night.

London Belletrist

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...