25.3.13

HHhH

I just picked up this book today. I can't wait to read it. Having just recently been in Prague also, I'm even more into it. I'm slightly reluctant to admit, but my bookshelf is stacking up so high with books related to World War II and Nazis, it's getting almost out of control. There's little I can do though, because there's hardly anything that arouses my curiosity as much. 


As a self-confessed WWII junkie, I was surprised that after so much research and studying both in uni and on my own, this one event seemed to escape me. It may seem like just another semi-obscure historical footnote during the war, with so many battles and missions taking place all throughout the world. Especially in Europe, with the seminal events and turning points being highlighted .Operation Anthropoid flies somewhat under the radar. However, it's about as high-wire and dramatic as anything to have happened during WWII in the European theater.

In a brief nutshell, it involved the daring British planned assassination of Reinhard Heydrich, one of the most ruthless Nazi officers of the S.S. The man who was responsible for organizing the Wannsee Conference and planning the Final Solution. After reading more about it, on Wikipedia (where else). I can't wait to dive into HHhH and see more of what it's about.


Adolf Opálka
Jozef Gabčík
Jan Kubiš

Three of the seven Czech paratroopers trained by the British to carry out the operation.

You would be hard pressed to find anyone braver.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...