22.3.13

Ich Will Tanzen

It's been almost about a year since I was in Berlin. I almost can't believe it, because it honestly feels like yesterday. If I had my way, I would be back there right now, that's how much I loved everything about the city. Prior to visiting, I had been familiar with all the stories about underground Berlin and the legendary nightlife and parties, but I wasn't quite sure what to expect. We made our decision to stay in Freidrichshain, in what used to be formerly East Berlin, and we were not disappointed. More than once also I had heard about the similarities between Tel Aviv and Berlin, especially in terms of the D.I.Y ethos that exists among people in both places. There is definitely something to be said for that, also the fact that Tel Avivim and Berliners both know how to party and have a good time. The urban grit, dive bars, and tucked away underground clubs were some prime similarities.


Kreuzberg

However, that's pretty much where the parallels end though. Tel Aviv is a beach city, thoroughly Levantine and Middle Eastern in its fabric. A place where sun, flashiness and hot tempers dominate. Berlin is on the exact opposite end of the spectrum. Its character is entirely more discreet, yet nonetheless just as complex, if not more. By just riding a few stops on the U-Bahn you can see the differences in character of the city so clearly. From heavily Turkish Kreuzberg, where Doner Kebab can be found on practically every corner to Prenzlauer Berg and its upper scale locale of hipster parents and Asian restaurants and art galleries. And to neighborhoods further afield like Wedding and Charlottenburg, the diversity and make up of Berlin had me enamored, and reminded me of New York in a way.

Berlin U-Bahn

Suicide Circus. Friedrichshain

Also, I couldn't help but be impressed by how literate Berliners seemed to be. Everywhere I was, I would see people reading, whether riding the U-Bahn or sitting in a park. Bookstores everywhere. I only say this with surprise since I've been conditioned to the Tel Aviv lifestyle, where reading a book will make you seem out of place. The only people you'll usually see reading tend to be religious women reading prayer books on the bus or Russians. I'll have to leave it to another post to talk about how the Russian Aliyah saved this country. If it weren't for them, and the values they brought over, mainly that of education and science, I wouldn't want to even know what this country would look like today. My main point being though, the way Berlin infuses so many diverse elements within itself is part of the reason why I found it so intriguing and amazing. This overall feeling, coupled with the sense of open-mindedness, and my somewhat romanticized notions of a darker, grittier city filled with mystery and intrigue, all are signs that I'll be back sooner than later.

Warschauer Straße

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...